Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Groceries

It was the name Richards from Texas gave Elizabeth Gilbert when she was in India going through her "Eat, Pray, Love" adventures. He gave it to her because she ate a lot. And by that definition, I probably deserve the name too. It is no secret that I adore food and recently, I've really started cooking quite often - lots of daals, soups, stir frys and the occasional fruit cobbler. But cooking requires a constant supply of groceries and being car-less makes this chore quite tricky. While I don't look forward to the lugging of grocery bags through rain in Seattle, I do love being in a grocery store.

I walk in and the immediate hustle of hungry people hits me. On my left, electronic cash registers beep $3.49 for peaches and $2.19 for yogurt. On my right, the largest display of baked goods imaginable (why do you need to tempt me from the beginning?). I turn left and deposit bundles of apples, bananas and carrots into my cart. Then, some seasonal veggies - delicata squash and maybe some seriously yummy parsnips. I travel down every aisle, even though I make a detailed grocery list. Eggs, tomatoes, oatmeal, spinach, olive oil and broccoli please, with a little helping of whole grain bread and veggie bacon. Generally, I stick to the list but I allow myself one or two crazy, new or unfamiliar indulgences that seem exceptionally appetizing that day (today it was Pom pomegranate juice). I check out what other people are buying and see if its on sale. Sometimes, I mentally yell at my fellow shoppers - No, tall guy in the red shirt! Please don't do that to your digestive track!


I usually leave my cell phone at home when I go to the grocery store. I don't like to be disturbed when I compare the sugar content of pasta sauces. I like to take my time in the ethnic foods section - finding the right salsa for my mood is essential to a happy work week. Who knew that I would find banana flavored Honey Bunches of Oats cereal or Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer when I entered the store for everyday items like garlic and waffles? Do I *need* these items - not really. Will I get them anyway - probably. By the time I reach the last aisle, more than an hour has passed and my feet are a bit achy. Yet, I feel replenished, rejuvenated, and generally very excited about my purchases. I never buy gum at the counter.

I see grocery shopping as an opportunity - to try something new, to discover something unknown, and to generally inspire me to cook. Genuinely, I have a lot of fun doing it. Although, I would change a few things. In the United States, Americans are fortunate enough to have glorious stores filled with a large variety of produce, dairy items and meats. But, I agree with Raj Patel's Stuffed and Starved notion that imbalances in food varieties have created severe obesity in many parts of the world. My corner Safeway could stand to have curry leaves or the ivy gourd (tindora) once in a while. The produce section should be at least half of the store. Also, why do so many of these vegetables taste like all of the flavor has been sucked out of them by mean truck drivers? I rather eat seasonally than bite into a dry, watery peach. So, here is my message: Dear grocery story, Thank you for creating a nice shopping atmosphere, but can you please stop offering me the tasteless tomato and bring forth a less traveled veggy? Also, can you smell like apple pie once in a while?

4 comments:

  1. My understanding is that the produce section, while key to communicating the "quality" of a particular market, loses money. Thus, it's usually the section placed near the main entrance but not the one most shoppers linger within.

    A tangential shout-out to Madison Market, where produce is the final section one reaches on one's left-to-right path through the market. It makes utter sense to place produce last: the easily bruised fruits and veggies can then sit on top of the heavy canned goods, boxes and cartons. Madison Market has also begun partnering with local farms like Rent's Due Ranch to offer seasonal produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanvi I love you! I, too, am a spiritual grocery shopper, seeking both mental catharsis and culinary temptation in the aisles of a store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool, Tanvi! I didn't know you had a blog! I am so following you now...

    P.S. Gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blog!!! For those who are tantalized by Tanvi's grocery shopping description, you should ask for her chili recipe...mmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete